Tandem Sky Diving in California
What to Expect
You may already know a little about the tandem skydive. You may have seen it on YouTube, or maybe you found it on an adventure trip, extreme sports, or bucket list website. If you have never experienced it, though, you will be interested in learning more, so read on! Just keep in mind that while your tandem jump will be very similar to what's described here, each skydiving jump is unique.
On the day of your sky diving lesson
- Wear comfortable pants (jeans) and a t-shirt if it's hot and a sweatshirt (please, no hoodies) if its cold.
- Wear comfortable closed toed shoes. No shoes/boots with open hooks.
- Your arrival time is the time on your email. Your class time will be up to a half hour to an hour after your arrival time.
- Everyone must be over 18 years old and under 230 Pounds. We can usually take people that weigh up to 230 pounds for an extra charge. Make sure you ask about it on the phone.
- We call the person that made the reservation for every group the day before the jump to remind them. If you do not get a phone call from us the day before your jump please call us as we may not have your phone number correctly or may not have your reservation correctly.
- Please make sure you check your e-mail and phone messages the day of your jump as we may call you to give you weather advisories.
- Make sure you gave us a phone number you will be able to answer on the day you will be jumping.
Why do we want to take you skydiving?
We love to skydive and we love to share it with people! Skydiving is our passion, and we're sure you'll experience that passion when you skydive with us. When you arrive, you'll be greeted by a Pacific Coast skydiving staff member with a friendly smile and a handshake of introduction, although you may have to wait for your handshake to be delivered from 2 miles high! Be assured we have a great safety record and an excellent customer service record.
Making a Skydive Reservation
You have to be over 18 years old and under 230 pounds to be able to Skydive. If you are over 230 pounds give us a call we still might be able to take you with instructor's approval. We always recommend at least a week in advance reservation, especially for weekend jumps. Always provide a phone number when you can be reached on the day before and the day of your jump. We like to be able to contact you in case of weather problems or weather delays.
Arriving at the Skydiving Dropzone
Arrive a half an hour before your appointment. You will fill out the paperwork and meet your instructor. Usually every instructor teaches their own student what to do; we do one-on-one instruction.
Gearing Up: Your Sky Diving Equipment
When you gear up, the harness should fit comfortably and snugly around your body. Feel free to ask questions about the harness fit. "Is this tight enough?" is our most common question. Usually the answer is "no", simply because we are not done yet. But ask anyway if you are concerned. We love questions!
We like tandem skydives because we enjoy giving you your first skydiving experience, and anything we can do to make it more fun and more comfortable for you will be great for us! Questions are always welcomed.
Your Skydive Flight
At about 3000 feet (3 minutes after takeoff), you will start your scenic flight over the Pacific Ocean. We will fly you over Imperial Beach, show you downtown San Diego, Coronado Bridge and Coronado Island. Then we turn the plane around and see a little bit of Mexico before you jump. We have the most beautiful skydiving view in California.
At 5000 feet, your instructor may show you his altimeter and tell you this is the altitude he will be opening the parachute.
Finally, at about two miles above the ground, your instructor will ask you to assist him in getting ready for the skydive. You will know it's time to go when the door opens and the wind comes whirling through the plane.
Right before you jump the camera will be pointing at you as you look back into the plane at your friends. READY... SET... GO!!!!!! Don’t forget to smile. 120 MPH freefall for over 40 seconds! You'll feel like you are flying and the video camera will capture it all.
When your parachute opens, you will feel the wind stop. Then you will peacefully float down from 5000 feet. Your parachute ride will last about 7 minutes. You can steer the parachute and ask your instructor questions about the jump. Remember to look around at all the beautiful scenery, but don’t worry if you miss something because our video will capture it.
You will be surprised at the ease with which you land your parachute. Your landing will feel as if you are stepping off of your front porch.
Schedule your jump today!